Import of animals into France

European regulation No. 998/2003 on the non-commercial movements of pet animals (dogs, cats and ferrets) was implemented in 2004 and harmonizes health requirements for these movements.

Requirements to enter France with your pet animal(s) (cats, dogs, ferrets)

These are, in order :

1. Identification : clearly readable tattoo or microchip under the skin (this is an electronic identification system).

2. Valid vaccination against rabies (first vaccination and boosters).

(1. and 2. are specified in the passport.)

3. An EU pet Passport attesting valid rabies vaccination delivered by a Government-approved vet. The passport also provides for a record of other past vaccinations, but a valid rabies vaccination will be the sole requirement for pets from EU Member States to enter into France.

Since 20 May 2005, pets under three months old and not vaccinated against rabies are not allowed to enter into France.
The animal is allowed to enter into France 21 days after its first full anti-rabies vaccination.

More generally, treatments for tapeworms and ticks are not compulsory but they are advisable.

When taking your pet overseas, we would recommend that you bring an updated vaccination record of the pet and that your animal is treated against diseases that are widespread in Europe such as :

heartworm (dirofilaria)
hepatitis, etc.

Please talk to your veterinary surgeon on this matter.

Please note : The European Pet Passport is the only document accepted by the French authorities for pets (cats, dogs and ferrets) going to France on a temporary basis (i.e. later returning to Sweden).

All these requirements are also compulsory for guide and hearing dogs.

Dangerous dogs : French classification

Dangerous dogs in France are classified in 2 categories :

- Category 1 : attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree). It is prohibited to introduce these dogs into France.
- Category 2 : defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree).

American Staffordshire Terrier breed Known until 1972 under the name of Staffordshire Terrier – Not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which is not listed as a dangerous dog.

Since 1st January 2010, by virtue of legislation dated 20 June 2008 and published in the Journal Officiel of 21 June 2008 (Loi n° 2008-582 du 20 juin 2008 renforçant les mesures de prévention et de protection des personnes contre les chiens dangereux), all owners of dangerous dogs (category 1 and 2) in France must hold a certificate of aptitude for keeping a dangerous animal, delivered by an approved trainer, and a licence (permis de détention) for the animal, delivered by the town hall (mairie) of residence. Until modification of the law to allow for a temporary derogation for category 2 dogs being imported into France, it is advised not to introduce such animals into France, whether on a temporary (holiday) or permanent basis. Sanctions may be incurred for absence of licence.

Transport of veterinary medicines to France for pets (cats, dogs and ferrets)

If you buy veterinary drugs for your pets in the Sweden, there is no problem importing them into France if you are accompanied by pet(s) under medical treatment. You need the prescription which proves that a vet prescribed the drugs for your animal and that you have bought them legally. You must travel with all the necessary papers (prescription) which justify the purchase of veterinary drugs. Keeping receipts of veterinary drugs is advisable.

Purchase of veterinary drugs (non-existent in France) in the Sweden to import into France : To order veterinary drugs in Sweden to import them into France, you must obtain an authorization from the French National Agency for Veterinary Medicine.

Contact :
Anses - Agence Nationale du Médicament Vétérinaire
Unité Enregistrement
La Haute Marche
B.P. 90203
35133 JAVENE

Mme Sandrine Güet
Tel : +00 33 2 99 94 78 78
Pet bird, reptile, amphibian, insect, invertebrate, fish, rodents and _ lagomorphs (rabbit, guinea-pig, hamster, mouse, rat, etc.)

Moving to France with your pets

If you are going to stay permanently in France with your pet bird, reptile, amphibian, insect, invertebrate, fish, rodents and lagomorphs (rabbit, guinea-pig, hamster, mouse, rat, etc.) or if you are going to transport your animal through France without returning to Sweden, you will need to obtain certificates issued by a local veterinary inspector (a private veterinary surgeon who is allowed to issue certificates for the import/export of pets) to travel with your animal :

I. A certificate of good health (in both languages) to testify that your pet carries no signs of disease, in particular of any contagious disease specific to its species (for example, myxomatosis for rabbits, etc.). This certificate should be issued between 1 and 5 days before entry of the animal into France.

II. The owner of the animal must declare that : "He/she is the owner of the animal that he/she is accompanying and he/she will not sell it on."

Regarding the journey, please contact the appropriate transport companies to check if you are allowed to travel with your pet.

Before travelling and if in doubt, you are advised to check whether your animal belongs to an endangered species as listed by CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).
See specific requirements.

For further information on CITES, please visit

For further information, you can contact the French Ministry of Agriculture

Ministère de l’alimentation, de l’agriculture et de la pêche
Bureau de l’identification et du contrôle des mouvements des animaux
251 rue de Vaugirard
75015 PARIS

Telephone : +00 33 1 49 55 84 72
Fax : +00 33 1 49 55 81 97
Website :

Modifié le 02/07/2013

Haut de page